[Sep. 7, 2014][ROM][KK][4.4.4][720p] NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.7 [Kernel: tytung_jellybean_r2]

Android development for HTC HD2/Leo
Moderator: Forum Moderator

Re: [Jan. 1, 2014][ROM][KK][4.4.2][720p] NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.2 [Kernel: tytung_jellybean_r2]

Postby tytung » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 am

Osprey00 wrote:tytung, is this anything useful?

0001-Forward-port-surface-dithering-from-CM10.2.patch

As I mentioned the other day, my theory is that it's related to Android's HTML rendering components. The screen goes black in Google Now/Search only when you do a search that requires web results. My guess is that the Currents and Facebook apps are querying the same HTML rendering component of Android. It makes it easier on the app developers, after all, to use web data whenever possible (especially when all of Facebook is on the web already, anyways), instead of needlessly duplicating everything in the app. If we can determine what that HTML rendering component is and either fix it or replace it, we'll likely fix all those apps that depend on it. That's my theory, at least. I believe that I read something about Google replacing the old WebView renderer with a Chromium-based one in KitKat (or something like that), so that could be the underlying change. Beyond that, I don't really know enough to pursue the problem solving much further, though. Hopefully, tytung can use this info to find the solution.

EDIT: To add to this, through some searching, I found that this is/was a problem on KitKat ROMs for other old phones, like the Desire HD (similar to the HD2) and the Nexus S. In a Nexus S thread, I found this guy's post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=366

That's what I was thinking, too, that the web renderer is making a call to graphics libraries that's failing. That would be why you get only a black square, yet you can click around on it to access the links that you can't see (meaning that the actual data is there).

Also, he followed up with this large post that suggests that he made some progress:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=382

...then this one that suggests that the CM team fixed the bug:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=393

I wonder why we're still seeing it, then. Perhaps the changes aren't in the particular versions used in our ROMs or they're enough to fix the issue for that chipset, but not for ours. I don't know, but I'm throwing everything out there in hopes that tytung knows what (if anything) to do with it.

Thanks.
Forward-port surface dithering from CM10.2 was merged into CM on Dec 14, 2013.
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_ ... aceflinger

I will read other xda posts when I have time.
Paste your logcat to GitHub Gist or any similar websites, and link it in your post if you need any help. (Don't forget to tell us your HD2 setup/configuration.)

Device: HTC HD2 (LEO512)
HSPL: 2.08.HSPL
Radio: Leo_RADIO_2.15.50.14
Bootloader: MAGLDR v1.13
Recovery: ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.6

My work for Android on HD2:
tytung
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: [Jan. 1, 2014][ROM][KK][4.4.2][720p] NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.2 [Kernel: tytung_jellybean_r2]

Postby Paxy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 am

First impression:
Wow how this runs smooth (for now :) )

NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.2
HTC HD2.
System on NAND partitioned to 400 MB.
Data on SD-EXT 32GB Samsung UHC-1 (tested on 17/15 read/write speed, declared as 70/45)

Great job tytung and other community members !
Paxy

Postby draganbre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 am

I have a problem with opening package
"E:Can;t open/sdcard/NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0_V4.2.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted."
As for example NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0_V4.1 works.
Any ideas?
draganbre

Postby Paxy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:32 pm

An issue I have face off,
When I try to get AnTuTu Benchmark results, on 3d OpenGL test HD2 reboots.
When I start test without 2d,3d test, it is completed successful.
Same issue is presented with your CM10.2 V3.3.
Paxy

Postby LexLampard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 pm

SMS is OK, MMS don't work.
LexLampard

Postby tytung » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Paxy wrote:An issue I have face off,

Logcat please.
Paste your logcat to GitHub Gist or any similar websites, and link it in your post if you need any help. (Don't forget to tell us your HD2 setup/configuration.)

tytung
Site Admin

Postby tytung » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:40 pm

draganbre wrote:I have a problem with opening package
(bad)
Installation aborted."
Any ideas?

Reboot Recovery and try again.
Make sure the zip file on your SD card is not corrupted.

tytung
Site Admin

Postby strakov » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 pm

draganbre wrote:I have a problem with opening package
(bad)
Installation aborted."
Any ideas?

I had this problem too. Check your file, must be broken.
strakov

Postby c3144965 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Paxy wrote:An issue I have face off,

The same issue.

logcat in attachment.
Attachments
Log report.zip
logcat
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
c3144965

Postby Odysseus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:06 am

PoJD001 wrote:Thanks. But the improved battery life was just a nice side effect of the performance optimizations. If I was after battery life, I wouldn't have chosen ondemand, but probably conservative or smartassv2 governors... I took a brief look at the app you mention and found varying results on xda. I honestly don't trust some magic apps that suddenly improve everything. I understand how it roughly works, but these beasts are not for me :-) It is a background running app after all anyway, right. So it will eventually consume system resources anyway, which I am trying to minimize. It is like say using superfetch in Windows 7 for me. Am naturally skeptical to these smart apps... Android was designed certain way and I just use it that way (keep closed apps in memory too to speed up next invocation, etc). Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

That's cool, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I can only speak from my own personal experience. My Amaze is a battery hog, and I've tried everything under the sun to get improved battery life. I work a lot of hours and can't afford to be out on the road with no communication. Using this along with a few tweaks everyone uses I was able to improve uptime more than with greenify, freezing crap with TiBu, and every other power-saving app I've tried from the store. The beauty of this is all one needs to do is set it and forget it. The app does the rest.

Plus this isn't some fly-by-night app put together by some 19yo kid, wannabe dev, on XDA. This is developed and endorsed by the largest manufacturer of SoC processors for mobile devices on the planet, Qualcomm. It's the first major app their software arm Xiam has released to the public at the store. Their reputation is on the line.

One would think they might know a thing or two about implementing a power-saving strategy for the very devices they've had a hand in designing, don't you think?

It's not perfect. It annoys me sometimes that it insists on turning on WiFi or GPS 30 mins after I turned the damned things off, but for the most part it does what it says it does. After spending a week learning what you do and where you do it, it starts kicking in and saving battery without a lot of gimmicks, user intervention, or reduction in performance. For me that's all i can ask for.

Edit: To those reading this post, who didn't see my earlier post in which this conversation is in response to, the power-saving app that I'm referring to is called Snapdragon BatteryGuru by Xiam the software division of Qualcomm (the maker of the processor in the HD2). I hope this clears things up.
Last edited by Odysseus on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current device: HTC Amaze 4G
Bootloader: HTC - Dev unlocked, S-on
Recovery: 4ext - smart flash enabled
ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me - thanks spostsstar89 - CM - Team Nightmare
Xposed framework - rovo89
GravityBox - C3C076

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat, best handset I ever owned
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP
Odysseus
Recognized Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to HD2 Android Development