Page 1 of 1

support for f2fs?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:38 pm
by Robbie P
Hi tytung, are there any plans to add f2fs support in your jb kernel?
i didn't see it here https://github.com/tytung/android_kerne ... llybean/fs but might be looking in the wrong place :)

Re: support for f2fs?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:57 pm
by tytung
Robbie P wrote:Hi tytung, are there any plans to add f2fs support in your jb kernel?
i didn't see it here https://github.com/tytung/android_kerne ... llybean/fs but might be looking in the wrong place :)

No, I have no time to do it.

Re: support for f2fs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:18 pm
by Robbie P
Hi tytung, HypoTurtle has managed to get f2fs working using 3.0 kernel here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2712669 :D

Re: support for f2fs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 am
by Odysseus
Robbie P wrote:Hi tytung, HypoTurtle has managed to get f2fs working using 3.0 kernel here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2712669 :D

Isn't f2fs still considered "experimental" by Linus and the mainline kernel team? From what I've read it's still a work in progress as there is a number of planned features that have yet to be implemented. I started reading up on it a bit after your first post last month, then read more after the post on the XDA portal a few days ago. It seems that although the newest Samsung devices are supported, most other nand and ssd configurations aren't yet. So even with proper kernel support there's a good chance it wouldn't work on the HD2. My question would be if there was kernel support how would you format your partitions to use it? You'd need tools that were aware of this FS type to take advantage of it.

Re: support for f2fs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 pm
by Robbie P
Odysseus wrote:Isn't f2fs still considered "experimental" by Linus and the mainline kernel team? From what I've read it's still a work in progress as there is a number of planned features that have yet to be implemented. I started reading up on it a bit after your first post last month, then read more after the post on the XDA portal a few days ago. It seems that although the newest Samsung devices are supported, most other nand and ssd configurations aren't yet. So even with proper kernel support there's a good chance it wouldn't work on the HD2. My question would be if there was kernel support how would you format your partitions to use it? You'd need tools that were aware of this FS type to take advantage of it.

afaik it was put in 3.4 kernel, we didn't get f2fs.fsck working before but haven't tried with the latest backported files yet.
It seems to work good on hd2 with directSD (dataonf2fs), i did try to use it on nativeSD on f2fs P2, but it didn't boot (my bad with files). I think nativeSD is the way to go with it.
Format is by using recovery terminal ATM, but it could be done in aroma eventually.