NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

For general discussion and questions specific to Android development for HTC HD2/Leo
Moderator: Forum Moderator

NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby mrbarnie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am

Hello HD2 Fans,

I always use the latest version of the nexus hd2 build, currently its this one NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1 V2.5
I use it in SD-Card Mode with data on EXT4.

Because I dont need the preinstalled Windows MObile 6.x anylonger and I want NAND flash my device and keep the data on sdcard.
During the flashing with the Aroma installer there is a way to NAND flash the device and keep the data on SD EXT4.

And now there is the point where I need your help. Is there an easy and simple way in order to flash the new releases to NAND?
I think this should speed up the loading time and should save some extra RAM which is a bit rare on the HD2..

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance :-)

Greetings
MrBarnie
mrbarnie
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am
Country: Germany (de)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Advertisement
 

Re: NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby symbuzzer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 am

mrbarnie wrote:Hello HD2 Fans,

I always use the latest version of the nexus hd2 build, currently its this one NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1 V2.5
I use it in SD-Card Mode with data on EXT4.

Because I dont need the preinstalled Windows MObile 6.x anylonger and I want NAND flash my device and keep the data on sdcard.
During the flashing with the Aroma installer there is a way to NAND flash the device and keep the data on SD EXT4.

And now there is the point where I need your help. Is there an easy and simple way in order to flash the new releases to NAND?
I think this should speed up the loading time and should save some extra RAM which is a bit rare on the HD2..

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance :-)

Greetings
MrBarnie


Welcome. Firstly, we have a specific Q&A thread for NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1 here: q-a-and-troubleshooting-for-nexushd2-jellybean-cm10-1-t13.html
So, please write your next comments about non-developing things here.

All NexusHD2 roms (except oldie froyo 2.2 build) have DataOnExt installation method. You can select it from Aroma Installer options. If you dont know how to install android, you should look this guide: how-to-install-android-on-htc-hd2-leo-t52.html

Thanks
symbuzzer
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:05 am
Country: Turkey (tr)
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby mrbarnie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 am

Hello,

thanks a lot for your very quick response and sorry for putting it in the wrong forum. Wont happen a second time.
I will check out the promesing link :-)

Greetings
mrbarnie
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am
Country: Germany (de)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby mrbarnie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:29 pm

mrbarnie wrote:Hello,

thanks a lot for your very quick response and sorry for putting it in the wrong forum. Wont happen a second time.
I will check out the promesing link :-)

Greetings



Hi,

its me again. I already flashed the HD2 in NAND mode but I could not see that more RAM is available than before.
I flashed it NAND + Data on EXT4.

Maybe you have an idea here, too ;-)

Thanks
mrbarnie
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am
Country: Germany (de)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby symbuzzer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:10 pm

mrbarnie wrote:

Hi,

its me again. I already flashed the HD2 in NAND mode but I could not see that more RAM is available than before.
I flashed it NAND + Data on EXT4.

Maybe you have an idea here, too ;-)

Thanks


Hi, I think installation methods dont affect to RAM. They speed up sometimes, it is true. but it isnt caused from RAM. It is about read/write speeds of your nand memory and sd card.
symbuzzer
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:05 am
Country: Turkey (tr)
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby NYLimited » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:07 pm

mrbarnie wrote:its me again. I already flashed the HD2 in NAND mode but I could not see that more RAM is available than before.
I flashed it NAND + Data on EXT4.


Not sure if you are misusing terminology or you actually meant RAM.

RAM (memory where apps run) will not change in any way due to installation method. There may be a a few more things running in a specific version of the ROM so RAM may decrease compared to another version but, essentially, RAM remains the same and is used up by apps you load.

The DataOnEXT installation choice moves all your data and Dalvik cache to the SD card freeing up more space in NAND and giving you more space to install (not run) apps and data. As an example, if your /data partition had 400 MB available to it when installed in NAND that is all the space you would have for all your apps, cache and data. By creating, let's say, a 1000 MB EXT4 partition on the card and using the DataOnEXT installation method you will more than double your data space.

You can find out how much data space you have allocated by going to SYSTEM SETTINGS / STORAGE and looking at the Total Space shown for INTERNAL STORAGE. On a DataOnEXT installation this should be roughly the size of the of the EXT4 partition you created.

If you want to see the actual RAM your device has you can do so in a TERMINAL app by typing FREE at the prompt.

Cheers!
Image


MY DEVICES: show
  • LG-H901 (V10) - Stock, rooted, TWRP
  • Google Nexus 4 - Stock 5.1.1, Franco kernel, TWRP - Retired
  • Google Nexus 7 - 2012 3G model, Stock 5.1.1, Franco kernel, TWRP - Retired
  • HTC HD2 - Retired
  • HTC P4350 (TMO Wing) - Retired


User avatar
NYLimited
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:01 pm
Location: 40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Country: United States (us)
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 255 times

Re: NAND flash and keep data on EXT4 partition

Postby mrbarnie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:54 am

thanks a lot for clarification.
mrbarnie
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am
Country: Germany (de)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time


Return to HD2 Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting and General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron