[GUIDE] How to install Android on HTC HD2/LEO [aMagldr / Black LK][01/11/2013]

For general discussion and questions specific to Android development for HTC HD2/Leo
Moderator: Forum Moderator

Re: [GUIDE] How to install Android on HTC HD2/LEO [aMagldr / Black LK]

Postby NYLimited » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Niels73 wrote:
The situation is now that it does get mounted but after the install I get the first HTC, the second HTC from the bootloader but then it should continue with the cyogen(or whatever) but the screen remains black, so it's holding somewhere between the bootloader and the romloader(cyogen? prior to the spinning logo)

Niels

System partition size?
Bad blocks in NAND?

---
Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

Cheers!

MY DEVICES: show
  • LG-H901 (V10) - Stock, rooted, TWRP
  • Google Nexus 4 - Stock 5.1.1, Franco kernel, TWRP - Retired
  • Google Nexus 7 - 2012 3G model, Stock 5.1.1, Franco kernel, TWRP - Retired
  • HTC HD2 - Retired
  • HTC P4350 (TMO Wing) - Retired

NYLimited
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: [GUIDE] How to install Android on HTC HD2/LEO [aMagldr / Black LK]

Postby Niels73 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:39 pm

NYLimited wrote:System partition size?
Bad blocks in NAND?

Before I went out, I tried the 2gb to have at least a working phone... But that didn't work either :(

I got back and discovered a thread on the forum that the system partition size might be the problem...
Thusfar I used the settings as provided in the +]Recovery_250 -] flash.cfg "system ya 285M" in Black LK but after cranking it up to 295Mb everything worked as aspected :-)

So yes NY it was the system partition size, thanks anyway, if I hadn't found that thread earlier; You said the same thing ;)

All-in-all thanks everyone!

Niels
Niels73

Re: [GUIDE] How to install Android on HTC HD2/LEO [aMagldr / Black LK][17/09/2013]

Postby homer45 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Guy's.
I've got a problem with installing ROM to ma HD2
Time ago I installed my first android ROM 2.3.7 to my phone.No problems with it.
Few days ago I downloaded newer version Jelly Bean NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.2_V3.1 but after installation turn out it doesn't work.
My phone is rebooting continuously.It will show up the HTC logo,screen went black and then restart it self again.
I tried to install different version of Android as Icecream sandwich or some other Jelly Beans but non of them work's.
Is possible I did something wrong,but I cant remember what.
Anyway at last I reinstall my old 2.3.7 android on (which only one is working) but my phone is much slower.
Internal space shows up 0.00 and I thing the android was installed on SD card even when I set NAND.
If I remove my SD card the android freeze,then I have to remove battery to reboot phone.
After that android looks like firs time installed with no memory.
Any ideas what I did wrong and how can I fix it?
homer45

Re: [GUIDE] How to install Android on HTC HD2/LEO [aMagldr / Black LK][17/09/2013]

Postby NYLimited » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 pm

homer45 wrote:Hi Guy's.
I've got a problem with installing ROM to ma HD2
Time ago I installed my first android ROM 2.3.7 to my phone.No problems with it.
Few days ago I downloaded newer version Jelly Bean NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.2_V3.1 but after installation turn out it doesn't work.
My phone is rebooting continuously.It will show up the HTC logo,screen went black and then restart it self again.
I tried to install different version of Android as Icecream sandwich or some other Jelly Beans but non of them work's.
Is possible I did something wrong,but I cant remember what.
Anyway at last I reinstall my old 2.3.7 android on (which only one is working) but my phone is much slower.
Internal space shows up 0.00 and I thing the android was installed on SD card even when I set NAND.
If I remove my SD card the android freeze,then I have to remove battery to reboot phone.
After that android looks like firs time installed with no memory.
Any ideas what I did wrong and how can I fix it?

I don't think anyone can guess what you did without information. What bootloader do you have (Magldr or clk), which version, which SD card, how is everything partitioned, which installation type did you select, etc........

The more information you can furnish the more likely that someone can spot a problem.

Cheers!

• HTC HD2 - Retired

NYLimited
Forum Moderator

Postby homer45 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:48 pm

I use Magldr v1.13 and SD card is Kingstone 4gb class 4 (3.75GB Fat 32 and 500MB ext3).
I select an option NAND in instalation and full install mostly but i tried NAND/ext3 or somtinh similar
Before each Installation always wipe data,wipe cache partition.
Don't know if it matters but in Magldr option mounts and storage menu is everything except cache mount.
homer45

Postby NYLimited » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:09 pm

homer45 wrote:I use Magldr v1.13 and SD card is Kingstone 4gb class 4 (3.75GB Fat 32 and 500MB ext3).
I select an option NAND in instalation and full install mostly but i tried NAND/ext3 or somtinh similar
Before each Installation always wipe data,wipe cache partition.
Don't know if it matters but in Magldr option mounts and storage menu is everything except cache mount.

You said you were running a gingerbread rom I think. If yes, did you change partition sizes? The new ROMs require more space and if you're device has bad blocks you will need more than the minimum specified for the rom.

What partition sizes are you using now?

How many bad blocks on the device?

---
Any clod can have the facts, but having an opinion is an art.

Cheers!

• HTC HD2 - Retired

NYLimited
Forum Moderator

Postby homer45 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 pm

After last installation on NAND,the android is working better.Internal space is proximately 250mb.Just now 92mb after installing few apps.
I have no idea about partition size or if I have bad blocks.
I would love to use Jelly Beans ROM if it possible.
Not sure how can I help you to help me.
homer45

Postby NYLimited » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 pm

homer45 wrote:After last installation on NAND,the android is working better.Internal space is proximately 250mb.Just now 92mb after installing few apps.
I have no idea about partition size or if I have bad blocks.
I would love to use Jelly Beans ROM if it possible.
Not sure how can I help you to help me.

Okay, let's try a few things. Find your TERMINAL app and launch it. In the terminal window type:

su
df

The SU may popup a superuser / root prompt. If it does give it root access rights (grant).

Copy the results of the df command and paste it into your reply, if possible surround it by code tags. If not sure about code just paste the text.

Second, which device do you have? If you told me already I don't recall, sorry. The US or the EU model? I am interested in the total storage of the device to see which installation method is best for it.

Last, the class 4 card is a little slow, especially if trying to use DataonEXT method (you said you had a small ext3 partition). A class 6 or 10 card, 16 or 32 gb would be more ideal if that was possible (affordable).

---
Any clod can have the facts, but having an opinion is an art.

Cheers!

• HTC HD2 - Retired

NYLimited
Forum Moderator

Postby homer45 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Here it is...
I am using EU version of HTC HD2

$ su
# df
Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
/dev 205M 32K 205M 4096
/mnt/asec 205M 0K 205M 4096
/mnt/obb 205M 0K 205M 4096
/system 135M 134M 748K 4096
/data 272M 180M 92M 4096
/mnt/cache 2M 780K 1M 4096
/mnt/sdcard 14G 9G 5G 32768
/mnt/secure/asec 14G 9G 5G 32768
/mnt/asec/com.viber.voip-1 20M 18M 2M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.socialnmobile.dictapps.notepad.color.note-1 2M 848K 1M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.sygic.aura-1 41M 39M 1M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.brainium.solitairefree-1 21M 19M 2M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.estrongs.android.pop-1 6M 4M 1M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.opera.browser.classic-1 20M 19M 1M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.jb.gosms-1 9M 7M 1M 4096
/mnt/asec/com.antivirus-1 11M 9M 1M 4096
#

I knew about SD card speed bud I want to use it just for storage.
My current card is 16gb class 4 but if it help to get better android is no problem to buy new faster card
homer45

Postby NYLimited » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 pm

homer45 wrote:I am using EU version of HTC HD2

As you probably know, the EU version has less NAND memory than the US version - 512 MB if I recall correctly. As a result, you will not have much room left to install any apps on that device once you get the ROM installed (see below). With an EU device it is strongly recommended that you use the DataOnEXT installation method which places the system partition in NAND memory and puts the data partition (your apps and their data as well as cache) on the SD Card in an ext4 (or ext3) partition.

Since you have a 16 GB card you can certainly try this before deciding if you want to switch to a faster card or not. You should be able to get it installed and running clean. You may find that the Class 4 card is a little too slow for you but first get the system running.

Okay, now about your more serious problem. Note the line showing system below. The size of the partition is 135 MB. You have used 134 MB of it, likely before your installation ran out of space. Simply put you have no space left to completely install the ROM, therefore it cannot run/start.

homer45 wrote:
Code: Select all
Filesystem               Size      Used     Free     Blksize
/system                  135M      134M     748K        4096
/data                    272M      180M      92M        4096
/mnt/cache                 2M      780K       1M        4096
/mnt/sdcard               14G        9G       5G       32768

Note the requirements listed for this ROM in the opening post:

The required system partition size is as follows:
Full install: 265 MB
Minimum Install (i.e. custom install with everything unchecked): 245 MB

When installing this ROM to NAND, please use the following partition table size:

misc ya 1M
recovery rrecov|ro|nospr 5M cwm_recovery_leo.img
boot yboot|ro 5M
system ya 265M
cache ya 2M
userdata ya|asize|hr allsize

Considering that most HD2s have developed bad blocks by now even the 265 MB shown above is likely too small but yours is only 135 MB to start with.

So, what you need to do is completely redo the partitioning of the device in order to fit this ROM. To go back to my initial point, since your device only has 512 MB of NAND space and, since you will likely need to use some 300 MB of that for the system partition you will not have enough space left for your apps and data and cache. My suggestion would be the following:

• Create a 300 MB or larger system partition
  • Create a 1 GB or slightly larger EXT4 partition on the SD Card (replacing the ext3 one you now have). You can reference this post on creating an EXT4 partition. There is also information in that post (near the end) about bad blocks if you want to learn more about them.
  • Select install method 2 - DataOnEXT which will place the ROM itself in system on NAND and your apps (data partition) onto the SD Card EXT4 partition

Once you have the proper partition size for system you should have no problem installing and booting the ROM.

homer45 wrote:I knew about SD card speed bud I want to use it just for storage.
My current card is 16gb class 4 but if it help to get better android is no problem to buy new faster card

You most likely will not be able to do that (use it for storage only) with this ROM since it requires a lot more space than your old GB ROM did. Due to the limited memory size of your device you will have to use the card for apps and data in addition to storage. But, as I noted earlier, you can certainly install the ROM using this card - I used a Class 4 card for a long time before moving to a Class 6. If/when you find that things are too slow even after fine-tuning and adjusting MIN FREE and like settings you can always switch to a faster card. This way you can make sure everything installs correctly before spending more money on things.

Cheers!

• HTC HD2 - Retired

NYLimited
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to HD2 Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting and General