[Sep. 7, 2014][ROM][KK][4.4.4][720p] NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.7 [Kernel: tytung_jellybean_r2]

Android development for HTC HD2/Leo
Moderator: Forum Moderator

Re: [Sep. 7, 2014][ROM][KK][4.4.4][720p] NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.7 [Kernel: tytung_jellybean_r2]

Postby sambucas » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Hello all!

First I wanted to give a huge thanks to Tytung for this fantastic ROM! I donated some money as well, because I appreciate the work on the software that keeps my trusty old HTC HD2 having newer software then almost all other phones on the market.

I run v4.7 since 1 week, before I was on v4.5 for about 2 months and I have been enjoying the experience! :)

For anyone interested a little history: I bought my first HTC HD2 as a 1 year old second-hand at the end of 2011. First I was on WinMo 6.5 and I enjoyed it. Especially TomTom was very nice, as most of 2012 and 2013 I was on a motorbike trip through Africa. I toyed a bit with SD-based Android ROMS (AmericanAndroid), but decided to stay on WinMo for the time being, main because of TomTom. (This was before Whatsapp was booming and when there was still a working Twitter app for WinMo.)
Halfway that trip my HD2 had a problem: the screen would not turn off anymore, draining the battery very fast! I tried the phone with the AmericanAdroid CM7 ROM that I still had on my SD card and the problem was solved, strangely and luckily enough! (not much opportunity for hacking in the middle of the jungles of Africa, nor the option to pick up another HD2.) Staying on the Android I switched to MapFactor Navigator with OSM maps for the very important navigation, which was fine.
I then dropped my HD2 and the screen cracked, but I kept using it. Now again with WinMo 6.5 (and TomTom), because this magically worked fine again.
Being back in The Netherlands I bought another second hand HD2 in very good condition and with a screen in 1 piece. Before installing Tytung ROM on this 'new' HD2, I tried the ROM first on the 'old' HD2. It worked fine and the installation was quite easy, so after a few weeks I then flashed the 'new' HD2 and that is what I am using now on a daily basis. Main applications are Whatsapp, phone, camera and (Android) webbrowser, but I also use Runtastic, FBReader and MapFactor Navigator.
Strange to notice that the ROM is faster and more stable on the 'new' HD2 phone than on the 'old' HD2, while I am using the very same SD card! So the old HD2 is slower for some reason, after a few years of intensive use... The 'old' HD2 is back to WinMo 6.5 with TomTom Navigation and I use it as my main navigation in my car and on my motorcycle (connected with my audio headset via bluetooth).

The only small problem I have, is that sometimes the screen switches on if I have the phone in my pocket and the buttons are pushed. The screen gets unlocked quite easily it seems and the phone starts 'doing stuff', like calling people and writing text messages, because the touchscreen gets touched, off course. I have to tweak the screenlock (use a code or pattern) so this doesn't happen anymore.

Ok, I hope I can extend the use of my HD2 for some time coming with Tytung's nice ROM! :)

Greetings from Amsterdam!
sambucas

Advertisement

Re: [Sep. 7, 2014][ROM][KK][4.4.4][720p] NexusHD2-KitKat-CM11.0 V4.7 [Kernel: tytung_jellybean_r2]

Postby melando » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:22 pm

LoveEng wrote:Hi everybody..
I'm using the NativeSD virgin of this ROM on my HD2 512MB using a uSD 32 GB Class 10 (17 GB Fat32, 4 GB Ext4, and 8 GB for WP) while My NAND is occupied by WP 7.8
When I installed this ROM it was so smooth but after some time of usage it starts to be slower more and more.
Now I can't do any thing because if I open my Facebook it may take 5 min to open, and if it request to open the browser it will go on a coma and hung up for hours.

This dramatic event repeated for every ROM I have been installed. I don't know why. please if anybody know what I have to do inform me.

Is it possible because I need more RAM? Have I to remove WP 7.8 to release its space? or NativeSD doesn't use the NAND as RAM, does it use the uSD as a RAM or It uses the internal memory of the HD2?

Please Help! :(

Most likely time to reformat the NativeSD (ext4) partition (suggest backup, format and then restore that partition)
melando

Postby soren » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:14 pm

sverza wrote:Of course, I know. I'm speaking about performance and so on

In my experience, JellyBean is faster but KitKat has more features.
soren

Postby sverza » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:26 pm

soren wrote:In my experience, JellyBean is faster but KitKat has more features.

Thanks for the update.
Anyone can share his experience (nexushd2-kitkat-cm11-0-t230-1890.html#p6512) ?
sverza

Postby soren » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Also, multitasking doesn't work very well on this ROM. Using an app like TweetCaster while listening to music makes the music stutter.
soren

Postby LoveEng » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 pm

melando wrote:Most likely time to reformat the NativeSD (ext4) partition (suggest backup, format and then restore that partition)

Thank you for your advice, I'm sure you are right but what about RAM? Where dose it locate? (In NativeSD mode)
LoveEng

Postby soren » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:08 am

LoveEng wrote:Thank you for your advice, I'm sure you are right but what about RAM? Where dose it locate? (In NativeSD mode)

What do you mean? Regardless of the installation method, the ROM uses the same RAM.
soren

Postby DJS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:21 pm

soren wrote:What do you mean? Regardless of the installation method, the ROM uses the same RAM.

LoveEng, there are 2 types of memory used.

1.ROM to store - it is known as NAND
2.ROM to execute - it is known as RAM
with the help of NativeSD method we store ROM and its data in SD-EXT instead of Device's internal storage known as ROM, where as the RAM we cannot change, it is fixed and we cannot change it.
Leo EU | MAGLDR 1.3 | TYTUNG KK 4.7 | Data on ext
DJS

Postby Wizzard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:43 pm

sambucas wrote:Hello all!

First I wanted to give a huge thanks to Tytung for this fantastic ROM! I donated some money as well, because I appreciate the work on the software that keeps my trusty old HTC HD2 having newer software then almost all other phones on the market.

Nice to see another HD2 user in amsterdam that is running tytung's NexusHD2 rom. As you may of noticed a few options has been changed during the course of the updates from the v4.5 until 4.7 ,and much more stability than the 4.6.
In one of your comments you've mentioned that the phone unlocks and goes into calling mode.

This is due to the screen sensitivity ,that may be triggered once the phone has been unlocked by accident into your pocket.
The easy way to solve this issue is indeed with a lock pattern ,this keeps the screen sensitivity into lock mode until the correct pattern is written in.

As for the phone speed ,this can be ratherly incorrectly installed ,by means of a corrupted or too small partition size. Or having bugs with the file allocations. However given this thought for the moment there are accordingly two versions of the HTC HD2 known. The T-Mobile version ( green accept call and red cancel call buttons ) has a 1Gb larger internal capacity. The HTC HD2 International has a 512mb internal compared to the T-Mobile version. The sceen is about a few millimiters bigger and are known for the T-Mobile logo at the top of the touchscreen.

Although both phones does not have many different features compared ,the t-mobile hd2 seems to be a very rare version to obtain. In context... a good installation can be the reason for a better performance ,accompanied with a stable and functioning rom. Remember that our devices were never part of the Google's Android development from the beginning but ratherly re-written to work as such which is a amazing thing to be able to place a new life for the HD2.

If you do have any GPS limitations feel free to use the code on the post page 175 ,this has been working for me to travel from Amsterdam to Haarlem with in 26min.

:geek: Wizzard............tijd voor bier
Wizzard

Postby Osprey00 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:45 am

tytung, thanks a lot for fixing the black screen issue, especially in Google Now. Not having Google Now before was a deal breaker, so I went back to Jelly Bean. When I saw in the changelog that 4.7 supposedly fixed the issue that had plagued every release since 4.0, I installed it and, so far, everything is working perfectly. I'm thrilled to finally be able to keep KitKat installed. Thanks for the great work.
Osprey00

PreviousNext

Return to HD2 Android Development