Wifi tethering

For general discussion and questions specific to Android development for HTC HD2/Leo
Moderator: Forum Moderator

Wifi tethering

Postby testgan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:01 am

Hello everybody!
I was wondering if it is possible to use wifi tethering for sharing wifi connection?

Why do I want to use it?

To increase a range of wifi signal (5 - 10 meters).

What do I have?

I have wifi router in the attic of my house, with range about 20 meters. Little further away, my friends and I wanted to organize presentation, for about hour and half, and we need internet.

How do I want to do it?
I wanted to go to the near border of my wifi range, catch the signal of my wifi connection with my phone, make wifi hotspot there, and get additional few meters.

To avoid buying some additional networking devices, for this one-time event, I thought that this may be possible.

Now, I have read on internet that wifi tethering works when you want to share your 3d/4d connection you have on your phone, but I DONT KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO SHARE WIFI CONNECTION FROM MY HOUSE TO ANOTHER LAPTOP.

p.s. I am using tytung's NexusHD2-Gingerbread V3.3a [Kernel: tytung_gb_r16] ROM!

Thanks in advance!
testgan

Advertisement

Re: Wifi tethering

Postby tytung » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Did you ever try Wireless Tether 2.0.7.apk?
Since the Gingerbread ROM is old and doesn't support native WiFi Tethering, please install and try Wireless Tether 2.0.7 first.
With this app, you can share the 3G network to other phones, but I'm not sure whether or not you can share the WiFi network to other phones.
Paste your logcat to GitHub Gist or any similar websites, and link it in your post if you need any help. (Don't forget to tell us your HD2 setup/configuration.)

Device: HTC HD2 (LEO512)
HSPL: 2.08.HSPL
Radio: Leo_RADIO_2.15.50.14
Bootloader: MAGLDR v1.13
Recovery: ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.6

My work for Android on HD2:
tytung
Site Admin

Re: AW: Wifi tethering

Postby Elveneleven » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:33 pm

testgan wrote:Hello everybody!
I was wondering if it is possible to use wifi tethering for sharing wifi connection?

Why do I want to use it?

To increase a range of wifi signal (5 - 10 meters).

What do I have?

I have wifi router in the attic of my house, with range about 20 meters. Little further away, my friends and I wanted to organize presentation, for about hour and half, and we need internet.

How do I want to do it?
I wanted to go to the near border of my wifi range, catch the signal of my wifi connection with my phone, make wifi hotspot there, and get additional few meters.

To avoid buying some additional networking devices, for this one-time event, I thought that this may be possible.

Now, I have read on internet that wifi tethering works when you want to share your 3d/4d connection you have on your phone, but I DONT KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO SHARE WIFI CONNECTION FROM MY HOUSE TO ANOTHER LAPTOP.

p.s. I am using tytung's NexusHD2-Gingerbread V3.3a [Kernel: tytung_gb_r16] ROM!

Thanks in advance!

Correct me if I'm wrong but you want to use your hd2 as a repeater. You can try wireless tether but i think it would not work cause you can't use a wifi connection and a WiFiTether connection at the same time. WiFi is switched off by starting WiFiTether. Device can't be host and client with the same resource at the same time.

Solution which will probably work is bluetooth tethering, but you must try.

Sent with Tapatalk 4 beta
Elveneleven

Return to HD2 Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting and General